Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Malnourished friends and anorexic marshmallows


This goes out to all those people that like to be sarcastic but know that sometimes there is a fine line that we often dance around.

So I have been blessed with a group of friends that enjoy being sarcastic. I mean who doesn’t like to be sarcastic? If you can’t joke around and have fun, then what the heck are you doing? As much fun as it is to be sarcastic and joke around, sometimes it can get ugly and down right mean. With one of my malnourished friends, we joke around so much with each other that we had to make a deal that we would never take it personal. We, as people, joke around to have fun. You always heard, or at least I always did, the only reason you make fun of people is to make yourself feel better. Blah Blah Blah. I do it to have fun, because I know the moment I say something, its coming right back at me. Usually, it comes back even harder. And this game goes on for quite some time. Either we get tired of it or have nothing left to say. At this point, it’s time to reload the ammo and start it all over again. It’s a fun game. Try it sometime.

Now that you know the rules and the way the game is played, let me dive into the real matter. It all starts with a comment and then snowballs from there. One comment or one sarcastic remark can blow up into something huge. Like I said earlier about “the deal”, my friend and I aren’t supposed to take anything personal. However, sometimes it feels like I’ve gone too far. I know you’ve done it before where you have said something and then immediately wanted to take it back. Unfortunately we can’t do that. I know my friend knows that I am only joking but sometimes you never know. A smile covers up a lot of stuff. What if that was a touchy subject for the person or what if you’ve said something so much that they actually start to believe that it’s true. I know that if I said you smelt bad, you probably would laugh it off but what if I said it all the time. You would start to wonder.

My point is that sometimes we as individuals can get carried away. We honestly can’t know everything about everybody. Certain people will be more affected by things we say than others. Obviously we never want to cross the line in our joking around. We dance around it and trust the other person doesn’t actually take us seriously. My hope is that I never cross that line. I mean, we are here to have fun, enjoy life and eat as many anorexic marshmallows as possible. We don’t need to be hurtful with our fun. We laugh at each other but in the end, we just want to be laughing together.

1 comment:

Erika said...

I like the blog title....even though malnourished friends and anorexic marshmallows were two completely seperate conversations, they go well together!