Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hold Your Horses Buddy


As a kid when my parents asked if I wanted to go to the toy store, I lit up just like any kid does. That is a kid’s paradise. So many toys that I don’t have, that I need and that I want.

What stops me from getting the new remote control car or video game system?
Money
So what do I do?
I ask Mom and Dad to buy it for me.

Obviously Mom and Dad are going to say no but every once in awhile for some reason they say yes. It’s usually after report cards or near my birthday or Christmas. Sometimes you even have to sweet talk them into it which works pretty well.

However, God does not work this way. There is no sweet talking God.

If you give me this now, God, I will be good for the rest of the month. I’ll be at church whenever the doors open, I’ll tithe every week and I’ll even read my Bible every morning. That’s all riding on if you give me what I want first.

Sometimes when we ask things of God, He does say yes and He give us what we want.

Psalm 37:4
“Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.”

I John 5:13-14
“This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.

Matthew 7:7
“Ask and it will be given to you..”

Sometimes, like with our parents, we get the no. What we ask for, we don’t get which is never fun. When we ask for something like in the toy store, we are hoping to get it. We want it but God for some reason doesn’t give it to us.

Romans 8:28
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”

Genesis 50:21
“So then, don't be afraid. I will provide for you and your children." And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them.”

With our parents, we get a yes or no. God works on the same answer system but He adds one – WAIT.

How would you feel if you asked your parents for the toy and they said wait?
Wait!
How about a yes or no?!
I don’t want to wait.
I can’t wait.
How long do I have to wait?
Why am I waiting?

God loves to make us wait. Not because He is trying to hurt us or because He wants to torment us. He does it because He wants to see our faith and trust in Him.
Can you wait on God to deliver?
Do you trust that He is going to give you what you want at the right time?

He knows what you want and He knows what you need. He also knows the best time for you to get what you want. Our job is to be persistent in praise and thanksgiving followed with requests like it says in Philippians.

Phil. 4:6-7
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Will you wait on God who waited a long time on you?

2 comments:

Erika said...

Good job "buddy"...I like this one. At first I thought it was going to be about specific prayers but in a sense it was. That Phil. 4 verse is haunting me lately :)

Anonymous said...

That was great! I needed something like that right now! Thanks!