Sunday, January 13, 2008

Unnecessary Touching


HUG – to clasp tightly in the arms with affection; to cling firmly or fondly to; to cherish

What is so special about a HUG?
Is it the gentle touch that stirs us up?
Is it the warmth that overflows from that moment?
Is it the feeling that someone actually cares to hold onto you?
Or is it just a nicer way to say goodbye?

I have always had, until recently, a quirk that I called “unnecessary touching” – rubbing my shoulders or tickling my stomach or poking my side. It always made me wonder, “Why is this person touching me and what gave them the right to do that?” After hearing about my touching fears, people started doing it just to annoy me, which it did. Time went by and I eventually just didn’t care anymore. However, I do have a new problem with the HUG.

I need to clear some things up before I get going on this HUGging ordeal. I actually enjoy HUGS but like I just said I’m not touchy-feely like other guys. I like to think that I make up for that area in ways of laughter and smiling and just having a good time. I’m not trying to downplay the HUG. It is a great weapon to have in your arsenal but it has to have its proper time and place.

Now I know that you girls absolutely love HUGs. I don’t know why but you do. I don’t understand a lot of things about you but I do know that much. Anyways, I’m not down with hugging every time I leave your presence. As much as I may have enjoyed it, every time we hang out does not warrant a HUG. I want my HUG from me to you to actually have some meaning – have some depth to it. I don’t want this being something that I just do out of routine – like waking up and brushing my teeth or making my bed in the morning. I want this HUG to actually have a purpose and feeling behind it. This is me saying that I care about you and you care about me. And in those times, when I don’t HUG you, please please please (did I say please yet?) please don’t overanalyze the situation and think that I don’t like you anymore or you said something wrong or I’m grumpy. I’m just not feeling the HUG at that particular moment. It’s not that I don’t want to but I just don’t want this to be something that becomes numb. Something that is done just because it has to be done.

In closing, HUGs are special times that have to be cherished. If by chance my arms open wide and you find yourself amidst a HUG - know that it is a genuine HUG, not something done just because but rather something done out of true care and friendship.

Luke 15:20 – “But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him…”


5 comments:

Erika said...

See, that was easy.....now we all know and no one can get offended. Although you should have titled it "stone cold hugs" or "hugging lightpoles"...haha

Anonymous said...

I liked reading this one...

On a side note - sorry about the anonymous comment, I forgot how to put my name in. It had been so long since you wrote a blog ;)

Anonymous said...

ditto on erika's comment, see that makes sense and now there's an explanation. :)

Anonymous said...

so what's the stance on the hug-with-a-back-tap?

Anonymous said...

I totally agree.