Monday, November 5, 2007

Ba1ck In The Day

Ah, childhood memories. The good old days as we often call them. How we wish we could just go back to being a kid again.

Freedom - No worries – Just live and have fun

Memories from my childhood:
Hitting a baseball over my house and onto the street when I was 2 - Scoring the winning touchdown in a make believe game of football with my grandpas - Summer vacations to Indiana - Playing hide and seek with my grandparents at the park - Playing playground kickball with Mr. Mills - Traveling all over Florida to play soccer - Ski trips to Tennessee and Colorado

All my memories involve either sports or my family. Sometimes both. Everything else is fuzzy. I really can’t remember things outside of these areas from days in middle or high school. I don’t know if I erased them from my memory or they are just tucked way back and I can’t seem to find them. Does anyone else have this problem?

Why is it that good memories from our past are so alive and vivid in our head that we could retrace each and every step from that particular moment? I could replay a soccer game in Orange Park when I was ten like it happened this morning. Or relive sitting in a hot tub while it was snowing with my family in Tennessee. Good stuff is so easy to remember.

The dark things in our past however– the things we wish we never were a part of – where do they go? Does God take them from us so we don’t have to live in that hurt and pain anymore? Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that I had this terrible childhood or awful school experience. There were some things that I’m glad that I can’t remember any longer. I just want to know why. Where did all those things go?

As Psalm 103:12 says,
“As far as the east is from the west,
so far has He removed our transgressions from us.”
He removes all of our sins the moment that we accept His free gift of eternal life. Does this count for all the bad memories? Does God wipe those all away too?

It almost seems like God is putting us one step closer to the glory and magnificence that we will see one day when we step foot into Heaven. Heaven, like our childhood, is a place of freedom - no worries - just live and have fun. I couldn’t think of anything more fun than hanging with God. I’ll still be able to score touchdowns, play hide and seek and go skiing. Now He is the one throwing the touchdowns, hiding from me and sitting with me on the ski lift. How cool.

Back from that bunny trail and to the question – where does all the pain go? I actually want to believe that God takes it all away. He took it all on the cross. All my sin. All my past. Why wouldn't He take all my hurt and pain? Why do you think He suffered so much?

No comments: